Saturday, September 17, 2016

I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE


John 5 :35-59

Key verse : 35

In this section, Jesus seems to use a pleonasm to teach the crowd, even though the people were so closed-minded. However, this repetitive style of teaching is essential for mankind.

  1. I am the bread of life

The Jews thought only of the bread received in the desert. Yet, Jesus was speaking of bread from heaven. Manna fell from the sky, but it was a kind of bread that didn’t give life, since all those who ate later died. But Jesus spoke about the bread of life that gives eternal life. Those who eat it will never be hungry. Jesus himself ate this bread, according to the will of God. He called to those predestined by God, and he distributed the bread. It is spiritual food for the soul. This bread is Jesus’ torn body and his spilled blood. Only if we eat and drink it will we have eternal life. Jesus will bring to life on the last day those who eat this bread.

  1. I will raise him the last day (39, 40, 44, 54)

Jesus said he would lose none of those whom the Father had sent him (37, 39, 44). God’s will is to resurrect believers on the last day. This passage repeats that those who eat the bread of life will live eternally. Not only that, he who eats will have life in him (53) and will live by it (57). Thus, we can experience love and communion with Jesus. Life in him is abundant.

Prayer : Lord, thank you for coming to save me. I am sure all those destined for salvation will come to God. Be gracious to me, so that I have faith in you and serve by faith the lost souls in this world. Above all, help me to eat the bread of life each day and to distribute it to others.
Bottom line : Jesus is my delicious bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment