Monday, July 25, 2016

DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART

Deut. 9:1-12

This text teaches us what the heart's attitude should have been when the people of Israel entered into the land flowing with milk and honey and lived in the blessing of God.

This word is medicine for those who have succeeded by the grace of God, but who fool themselves or fall easily into pride, forgetting God's grace after experiencing success.

  1. Learn from errors (7-12)
We don't need to always criticize ourselves for past failures. But happy are those who ask for God's help and learn from their errors. Read verse 7b. What did the Israelites do during 40 years in the desert ? (7-12) It's the same for us ; we are insufficient and it's only the grace of God that lasts. So, how can we say, « It's because of my righteousness and the uprightness of my heart that I have succeeded » ? God is not pleased with the proud in heart (Luke 18:11).

  1. Carve the faithfulness of the Lord into your heart (1-6)
Through their own strength, the Israelites could not take possession of Canaan. Only with God's help (3) and in keeping his promise were they able to experience success and blessing. Have you succeeded ? Or will you succeed ? What are you now saying in your heart ?

Prayer : Lord ! Have pity on me. I'm too proud and dishonest to receive your faithfulness. May I succeed where I have failed ; help me to keep your faithfulness in my heart.

Bottom line : Remember the Lord's faithfulness in your heart

No comments:

Post a Comment