Friday, June 30, 2017

Psalm 22:2-32 (DB of 30/6/2017)

Friday June 30th 2017
key verse: 22b
YOU RESPONDED TO ME
The psalm is divided into two parts, the first is the prayer of an oppressed person and the second is the exaltation of those who see that his prayer is answered. It's the prayer of our Lord in suffering.
1. My God, my God, why are you turned away from me ? (2-22a)
This scene of the suffering of the king very precisely relates the ordeal of Jesus on the cross. It seems that salvation is far and that God's silence is absolute. He considers himself like a worm, as he confesses in his weakness. The mockery of the people is unbearable, it's seems that he was born for pain. He is surrounded by animals which lick him. Verse 15 particularly describes the suffering of Jesus on the cross. He is flowing away like water, his heart is like wax. The people make a division of his robes among them. So the king prays that God doesn't leave him (12, 20-22a).
2. You answered me (22b-32)
The psalmist David gazes with joy and elation upon the fulfillment of his prayers. God isn't indifferent to the unfortunate people's pain. In his time, God raises and puts up his hand to save them. The king strongly urges the people to exalt the name of the very benevolent Eternal God. He humbles the mighty of the world who are only like dust, but he raises the humble from contempt and disdain. All the families of the earth will be blessed in him and their posterity will give worship to God. His justice will be recognized by the descendants.
Prayer: Lord, thank you because you watch over my anguishes and pains, and when I cry you don't forget me and you answer me. I want to exalt you among your saved people.

A word: the Lord saved me from the abyss of death

No comments:

Post a Comment